Sunday, August 16, 2009

Michigan Fiber Festival


Today I went to my first fiber festival. The Michigan Fiber Festival is always at the Allegan County Fairgrounds in August. We loaded into Kirsten's van and headed out after church. My mom, Karin, Kirsten, her boys, and I ate lunch in the van and found our way to the fair.

Of course, I forgot to bring my camera (it was still in my purse, where it stayed during the entire church picnic last night). Mom took some pictures of the sheep herding demonstration with her phone, but the fence kind of got in the way.

The two goals I had were to find some sock yarn and buy some multi-colored roving, preferably in a fiber I haven't experienced yet. After walking through all the vendors a couple of times, I found some items that wanted to come home with me.

This beauty is called "Grapennies" and is a blend of 50% Merino, 25% Bamboo, and 25% Tussah - 4 oz. I haven't spun any blends yet - only pure Merino and pure Coopworth. I can't wait to try it!

Sock yarn? Check. This is Sock-Luck from Studio June Yarn in the Moonlit Kiss colorway. My picture is not very accurate on the color - but I don't really know how to fix things like that :) This yarn is 75% Superwash Merino and 25% Nylon in fingering weight. I'll be searching for a sock pattern later tonight!



So these two only sort of fit in with my goals for purchasing today. They are 2-oz balls of Merino Top in a soft periwinkle and a grapey purple. My thought was, I have some bright, almost neon, green and some charcoal merino that I got last Christmas. I can ply these with the colors I already have and see how they look!

3 comments:

  1. Really cool Christen! I talked to a guy last year that went to that and I forgot until you explained where it was. Anyway, he asked some people there if you could spin dog fur and they they were like no but you can stuff blankets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting looking yarns, Christen. You are so creative! I love all the colors you picked, I think we have similar tastes. Will we have a knitting/craft class again this fall? That was a lot of fun. Maybe Rachael will come with Kaylee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley - I've heard of people spinning dog fur, but I think I'll stick to sheep :)

    Sue - once I figure out my schedule for fall I plan on doing craft nights again. I'll be taking another online class, so it may depend on how much time the classwork takes.

    ReplyDelete